Sunday, October 30, 2011

Spare the rod?

So I hear we're now 7 billion on earth and not just that. Every 3 years, we'll be increasing by 1 billion. hmm...God help us all...with all these gist of ozone layer depletion and even the increasing natural disasters all over.
I pray peace for the people of Turkey (earthquake) and Thailand (floods) and I thank God we only have to worry about Fuel subsidy over here.

Okay, I actually have been looking of a way to explain how/why I didn't take pictures on my birthday. But I have some that I took after that anyways. I just got the cake today so I should take some pictures after church today.

So yesterday o, I was doing my laundry washing clothe jejely and thinking when my little ones burst in and started laughing mischievously. After much persuasion, I got to know mumsy just told them tales of the cane treatment I received whenever I was naughty in those days.
Shout-out to all of you that chopped cane well in your growing days!*raising hat*
And for those who didn't...You must be from heaven!

All of you are now grown men and women in this age of gadgets and also aspiring parents now. Proud of you all.The bible was right. Spare the rod and spoil the child.

I personally think the 'rod' can be in various forms sha, not necessarily cane. Cane made me wish I was American mehn! I would watch those American kids on TV back then and they'd be like "Oh mum, I don't agree wichu! That a'int right'
The thing was so annoying that I'll just imagine me in that situation. Truth is even my imagination no get liver to imagine o. There were various forms of punishment I've witnessed.
I thank God I never witnessed things like  Koboko (I would have fainted on even sighting it back then), palm slippers and belt (can't really remember this one).

But talk of the legendary Cane a.k.a 'Pankere' or Egba or Mr-Do-Good or Morning tea (my class teacher's adaptation...I disliked that man ehn!)
I think I should write a poem on it sef.

That thing shaped me into a fine disciplined young man. It was the language that brought back sanity. The wisdom behind those strokes as they whizzed through the air and landed on your butt and defied Newton's 3rd law.
The annoying thing was that it was always in our sitting room then - within reach.
On one occasion this boy gained liver and went to hide it. Then the day of reckoning came!

I had just misbehaved.
"Where is 'IT?", I heard her echo
"What ma?" I asked with an innocent look.
"Ehen...Okay...I'll be back!"...came the response.

Come and see confession...after which I even brought extra from the past hidden loots.
'Coming back ke?' Who in his right senses waits for that to happen LOL!

Sure you're enjoying this. I think I've gotta sleep now. Church dey tomorrow o.

But really children of nowadays need more discipline cuz the exposure is more these days...BB, Internet, Degrading Media, the list is endless.

I think we who are aspiring to be parents someday or who are parents already should pay more attention to the friends our children keep, the things they watch and build a strong sense of purpose in them so that even when they get confronted with the chance to err...it will be too late cuz of the sound training they've received from home. Let's not let our children be affected by our laziness and selfishness. There's a repercusssion.
May God help us all. Amen!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear you...